Urban Good Governance and Capacity Building
2. Duties and Responsibilities of the Bureau and the Departments, Project and Program Organized Under the Bureau
2.1 Duties and Responsibilities of the Bureau
The Bureau mainly acts on urban good governance and capacity building activities; basically, as its name indicates, on capacity building related issues. It acts to alleviate the infrastructural problems of urban centers in the federal and regional levels. UGGCBB, in general, has the duty to plan, organize, guide, coordinate, monitor and evaluate urban capacity building tasks to utilize loans and technical supports obtained from donor and lender nations and organizations for urban development purposes in Ethiopia. Moreover, it gives trainings to the human power in the urban development and construction sector so that quality service will be rendered, enhancing public participation in urban works and prepares working conditions that strengthen decentralization, empowering emerging regions cities with training, and developing municipal service standards, manuals and directives and following up their implementation .
According to the present organizational structure, the duties and responsibilities conferred on the bureau are:
1. Provide capacity building trainings to cities and the ministry and arranges experience-sharing forums.
2. Prepares projects based up on the interest of the cities, and then coordinates and follows up the ways in which loans and technical assistances would be obtained from donor countries and lender organizations for urban development and capacity building purposes;
3. Follow up and support cities to be able to deliver and administer standardized infrastructure to citizens.
4. Capacitate cities to have a well organized revenue collection mechanism to provide the necessary infrastructure
5. Paves the way to public participation in urban works and prepares working conditions that strengthen decentralization.
6. Provide special capacity building programs to urban centers in emerging regions.
7. Supporting the sector’s need based efforts of human resource development activities at TVET, Bachelors, Masters and PhD level;
8. Establishing the sectors’ center of excellence so that cities will have the advantage of gaining new and improved technologies
9. Developing Municipal Service standards, manuals and directives; and then following up their implementation and Municipal service delivery performance measurement.